This recipe was inspired by this article in The New Yorker. The author, Judith Thurman talks poetically about pine nuts, her secret ingredient.
Our secret ingredient, instead, is Salted Anchovies. And EV Olive Oil, and pasta... Any kind of short pasta will do for this recipe, for some reason, we think that Caserecci was the best match. It serves 5-6 people.
500 gr. (1 bag) Caserecci Pasta
1 cauliflower head, medium size
6 whole salted anchovies (12 fillets)
Extra virgin olive oil
1 chopped medium onion
1 cup broth or water
1/4 cup rasins; 1/4 cup pine nuts; 1/4 cup homemade breadcrumbs
1. Steam cauliflower florets for about 5 minutes
2. Rinse the anchovies (see GustiBasics)and then set them aside.
4. Coat the bottom of a large skillet with extra virgin olive oil and sauté the onions until they become translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the anchovies by slicing each fillet into 1/2 inch pieces over the skillet. Using a fork, mash the anchovies and add the cauliflower. Let cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add a few tablespoons, or more if needed, of broth or hot water. Mix well. Add the raisins and pine nuts, mix well and turn off the fire.
5. Cook the pasta and combine with contents of the skillet. If the dish seems dry, add a few spoonfuls of pasta water and mix well. When the dish has reached its desired consistency add breadcrumbs.
6. On your plate drizzle some EVOlive Oil and sprinkle with additional breadcrumbs.